Kaida zx320 Tenkara Pack Rod (NOT YET AVAILABLE)
Shipping October 2022
We discontinued our Talon backpacker tenkara rod about 4 years ago so we could work on improving the rod design and make it WAYYY BETTERRR! Then COVID hit and our prototyping process was slowed greatly BUT here we are several years later and had the chance to incorporate some new ideas into this rod to make it a fantastic rod, let alone a good backpacker or packable rod.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter Below For The Pre-Order Notification With Highly Discounted Price When It Launches
Here Are Some Highlights Of This Up-Coming Rod:
- Short Collapsed Length that will fit in most packs, motorcycle compartments, small enough to strap on bikes, or carry with you anywhere.
- Multi-Length Zoom Rod so you fish it fully extended in open casting areas or zoom it down one length when casting area is overgrown and tight. It casts awesome in both lengths.
- Medium-Soft Action With The Addition Of A Hint Of Glass. Most tenkara pack rods are stiff due to so many sections, so we added just the right amount of glass in certain sections to make our pack rod cast like a dream.
- Light Weight so you can cast it all day with very little fatigue and save weight in your ultra-light backpack.
- IT IS FUN! We have taken this prototype rod to a few fly fishing expos and everyone just loves casting it. Although it will handle a decent sized fish, it is just the right action to make the little mountain trout plenty of fun to catch.
Kaida Pack Rod Specs:
Collapsed Length: 45cm (17.7in) - This is a pack rod not a pocket rod.
Extended lengths: 285cm (9.35ft), 317cm (10.4ft)
Weight (with out tip plug or cap): 70 g (2.5 ounces)
CCS/RFI: 14 pennies/4.9, 16 pennies/5
Full Retail Price: $150
This rod will work great with light level lines (size 3 or 3.5 work best), most furled lines, tapered mono lines, and our light PVC line. Casting is effortless with this rod. The action would be considered a 6:4. It is softer than the popular Mizuchi rod but not near as soft as the fiberglass hybrid FoxFIRE rod.
This rod will cast most flies from weightless to bead head nymphs. It is probably not a great rod for nymphing due to its softer action, the Mizuchi would be better for that. It is however excellent for soft presentation of weightless flies and will be a hoot on smaller fish.
Although it will handle a 16 inch trout or bigger, I would use it in places where the trout are commonly smaller than 14 inches and especially in creeks where 10 inch trout are the big fish.
While this is an awesome pack rod, it is also a great rod length and action for kids to learn on. And with our parts being readily available at a low price, accidents kids may have with the rod are not as big of a stress.
More Details, Specs, & Reviews Will Be Coming SOON!
Watch for some of our testers posting their thoughts on this rod.
What does the name "Kaida" mean?
Kaida means "Little Dragon" in Japanese. We felt like this name is so fitting for a short rod from our DRAGONtail brand. We got the idea when we were running a contest to come up with a rod name for our fiberglass tenkara rod that ended up being called the "FoxFIRE". A name that was suggested by Joe Pacheco was "Kaida Glass", I am kindof glad it didn't win the poll (find the poll here) because I wanted to use if for the backpacker rod we were still in the progress of fine tuning prototypes for at the time. Now you know the story of the name, we love that it came from a member of the tenkara community and we think you will love this rod.